Thursday, May 8, 2014

Barbecue Sauce

While living in China, it was difficult for me to buy barbecue sauce.  I decided to look online and see if I could find a recipe.  Surprisingly, I had most of the ingredients already.  Barbecue sauce has some key ingredients:  ketchup, vinegar, and sugar.  I went ahead and made my own, and discovered  that although you can buy inexpensive barbecue sauce, I like homemade much better!  It only takes a few minutes to mix up, and it will keep in  your refrigerator for a couple of weeks.  Here is a recipe I use, although I used up all of my Worcestershire sauce, so I just don't add that.  If you don't have the exact item, try substituting something else.  I think you will like it just as much.  Barbecue sauce can be made many different ways.  This recipe is a combination of a couple of different recipes.

Barbecue Sauce

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 C vinegar (white or cider)
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 TB yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (If you don't like spicy, you can eliminate this.)

Combine ingredients and simmer over a low heat.  You can add water if it is too thick, or cook longer if it is too thin.   

No comments:

Post a Comment