Friday, May 9, 2014

Pancakes

While living in China, I have had to make pancakes from scratch.  What I have learned from this is that I like homemade pancakes MUCH more than the mix kind.  And I have learned that it doesn't take much time to whip them up.  Why go to the expense of buying a separate bag of pancake mix when you already have all of the ingredients to make them from scratch?  Try this recipe, and see if you don't agree that they taste better.  I honestly can't remember where I got this recipe from.  It may be from Pinterest.  But it's the recipe I always use.  I'm giving it to you exactly as I copied it.

Pancakes

Combine the following:
1 1/2 C. flour
3 TB sugar
1 3/4 TB baking powder
1 tsp. salt

In a separate bowl combine the following:
1 1/2 C milk
3 TB melted butter (I use oil because of the cost of butter here)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Add dry mixture to liquid mixture.  It will look a little ubble, and it really spreads out after you put it on the pan.
For Buttermilk pancakes:
Add 1/2 tsp. baking soda.  Decrease baking powder to 1 tsp.  Substitute buttermilk for regular milk.

(Note:  as a substitute for buttermilk, add a teaspoon of vinegar to a cup of milk.  You will immediately see the milk curdle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment