Thursday, May 8, 2014

Refried Beans

For years I have been buying refried beans in the can.  They taste good and are convenient.  But after living abroad where I couldn't buy them easily, I began to make my own refried beans.  I think homemade taste much better, and are much cheaper!  They are quite simple to make.  I don't think I will ever buy them again!

First you will need to prepare the beans.  Soak them over night and cook for about 1 1/2 hours until tender.  I usually do this ahead of time and freeze them in ziplock bags.  That way I can just grab a bag whenever I want refried beans.

Refried Beans

1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
2-3 cups of cooked beans  (pinto, kidney, black...whatever kind of bean you like.  They all taste good)
salt to taste
2 TB oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk

Heat frying pan and add the oil.  Add the onion and cook until softened.  Add the garlic and cook another minute.  Add the beans and water.  Cook until the beans are heated up.  (If you are using frozen beans, cook until the beans are defrosted and warmed through.)  Using a potato masher, mash up the beans in the pan until they are the well macerated.  Add the milk and continue to mash until they are creamy.  Add salt to taste.

Seriously, these are so easy to make, and so much cheaper than canned beans!  Having cooked beans in the freezer is the key.

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping this is a great recipe. I am going to try and see if I can find a way to can them for myself. Not really something you can do there in China, but something I have been thinking about for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it out using some canned beans first. Then if you like it you can try canning it. You could add more, this is just a basic recipe. For example, you could add a little cumin, or less garlic, or jalapeno peppers!

      Delete